George's - Restaurant & Catering
Restaurants and Food Trucks
Serving Chicken Fried Steak and Big O Beer in a laid back atmosphere to Central Texas since 1930!
Many have come and gone, but George’s is still here, for 80 years and counting. The original building, consisting of the bar area with a small kitchen in back, began in 1930 as “Harry B’s,” named after owner Harry Urmeister. Harry was a founding member of the Nose Brothers organization, a long-standing Baylor tradition. An avid sportsman, he developed a strong relationship with Baylor athletics, pairing the two together for all these years.
George Betros bought Harry B’s in 1966 and changed the name to “George’s.” It was at this time that our most famous drink, the “Big O™,” received its name. A waitress by the name of Lucille Brown called them Big Oranges, the rest of the staff shortened it to “Big O™,” and it stuck!