Hill County Cell Block Museum



About Us

The Cell Block Museum is currently closed and under a study for structural repairs needed to reopen.

The Hill County Cell Block Museum, located one block north of the Courthouse in the old county jail house (1893 – 1983), was awarded a Texas Historical Marker in 1981 and is entered in the National Register of Historic Places.

The Museum was the old county jail, completed in 1893. The architect was W.C. Dodson, who also designed the Hill County Courthouse. The jail was built by Lovell & Hood at a cost of $26,220. The front part of the building served as living quarters for the sheriff’s family, and the rear housed the cell blocks, kitchen facilities, and sheriff’s office. Prisoners were kept here until April of 1983, at which time the Hill County Historical Commission obtained the “old jail” to restore and use as a county museum.

Hill County Museum, Inc. is a non-profit corporation supported by gifts, donations, memorials, fund raising, memberships, and grants.